Friday 15 November 2013

Precedents

After looking at Kevin Lynch and the elements of the [community], began looking at stats for employment. It was interesting (but not that surprising) to see the difference in gender for employment. One thing that did stand out to me was the percentage of 'Look after home/family'. For women, this was over 17% but for men in Cheetham Hill, it was less than 2%. I expanded my study and looked at the same stats for the whole of Manchester and while the male figure as slightly smaller (1.2%) the female figure halved. The rest of Manchester had similar figures to the rest of the North-West area and the UK.

I started asking questions: who/what/why/when/how? and trying to answer them to give me my programme however, some of them were vague so I need to start to look into these further to develop my programme.

When working through these, I remembered going past the West End Women and Girl's Centre in Newcastle every morning/evening on my way to and from the city. It's slightly frustrating now that I don't even have a photo of the place as I only walked past it twice, on my first day and my last. I managed to find their website though and it has a very similar programme and serves a very similar community that my project would. I've now begun to look into this as a precedent.



No comments:

Post a Comment